13.6.13

Thinking Out Loud..

Far be it that it will be said of me that I do not care  because when I go to events,  I often catch myself  thinking  whether or not it is something we can replicate, localize and own. Having said that we found ourselves at a local school festival in another suburb,  give or take 70 kilometers away from us, at the invitation of one of our favourite families in all of Sydney. We had a sleepover at their beautiful   home the
birthday boy and his rainbow cake
night before, one our favourite boy called his birthday party that he completely ignored , having slept on our drive and didn't wake up til 2am. Good thing he eventually went back to bed and gave me some rest. We had to wake him up that morning lest he will miss his "party" altogether.


bubble play
yummy cake pops
dragon girl with Tita Irene
When we got to the school, which is where our friends' boys attend,  there was a program happening, probably showcasing local talents. I said probably because the whole time we were there, I  visited the area where they held an artwork display, got a cuppa in the adjacent room where the morning tea was beautifully presented and "sold" by gold coin donation.  The only other place where I spent most of my time was at the face painting area because my two favourite kids wanted a turn. The little miss wanted a dragon and she was happy to stay on the queue. The little mister wanted a spiderman but keeps moving around, thus, missing his spot.I must say I lost my patience but I wanted to believe that I was teaching him a lesson. In the end, it felt like I was the one who needed all the lessons.
one happy spiderman

dragon girl with Uncle Dada


  







free for those who wanted some
Right in front of the facepainting queue, the Smith's family had a stand with lots of fruits and vegetables to give away. Let me just say that we went home that day with a bag full loot, it looked like we did our fruits and veggies shopping for the week Maybe it was just as well that I got stuck in the facepainting queue.
fun slides



sausages and corn cobs, anyone?
more play area for kids
how would you like your hair coloured?

program
All Photos via Irene's Iphone
Needless to say it was a fun day especially for the little boy who thought it was his party! We thank our amazing friends for having us and for taking us to the school open day.

It really made me wonder if it is something we can do as a community event at the upcoming alumni homecoming. I know that the usual activity is for the silver jubilarians to do a tree planting or feeding or clean up. And before the haters, no-can-do, lets-see-if-they-can-pull-it-off thinkers even begin toexpress their opinion, let me be the first to admit that this is NOT a one man or woman show. It has to be a collaboration of many individuals, groups, batches and maybe even the alumni association with a common goal of giving back to the community.

I wonder if this can be done in the high school grounds? Or in the town plaza? Maybe from 10 AM to 2PM on Easter Sunday? I wonder if there are inflatable slides or jumping castle rentals available? I wonder if there are those who will make donations towards sausage sizzles, sandwiches and drinks so we can give away a free light lunch? I wonder if there are those who make  local delicacies and if there are those who are happy to make a donation in exchange? I wonder if we can make 500 goodie bags to give away to kids? I wonder if there will be people who can share their talents in music or dance for the program? I wonder if there are those who can bring their outdoor toys so kids who don't have can play for a few hours? I wonder if an easter egg painting competition can work? I wonder if there are people who will volunteer to man each activity? I wonder if someone else thinks this can be done in our little town of Tago with a total population of under 30,000?

Don't mind me, I am just thinking out loud! At this stage I  don't know if I will even be able to  make it home in the Philippine summer of 2014 but I am happy to help where I can. In the meantime, I am getting off my soapbox.



No comments: